Miami Fitness Guru Tony Porchia: 5 Healthy Habits for Office Workers
Tony Porchia, Founder and CEO of Work of Art Fitness talks about office habits.
Instead of delivering to you the innumerable health dangers associated with an office job that requires sitting all day, I am going to offer creative solutions that may save your life. Most of the worlds working force are aware that they should be moving more, but the fear of job loss, keeping up with workflow and many other factors keep many workers nervously glued to their seats staring at their computer screen until break, lunch or time to clock out for the day.
What adds wood to the weight gain and health issue fire, is the fact that most business are crowded with vending machines stuffed full of sugary sweets, and carbonated drinks and heart stopping salty chips. Not to mention the unlimited ocean of coffee that is typically made readily available..
So what is the solution? Well there are many depending on whether you start with the individual employee or with the actual business. This short article will give solutions for the employee. Part 2 will have an exhaustive solutions for the business as this can get a bit more tricky.
For those of you employed at a business where you butt is numb at the end of the day, this list has been created just for you.
1. This will be obvious to some, but many people neglect to do this. Every 30-45 minutes, get up and walk around or stand up for 5-10 minutes.
2. Skip the vending machine. Most of the time you will be snacking out of boredom not because you are hungry. If you know you'll need to snack, bring healthy snacks that you enjoy and place them in your desk drawer or in the community refrigerator(hopefully it doesn't get stolen). Most vending machine stacks are either extremely high in sodium, sugar, fat, or all three. Mix that with the fact that you are not burning any of those excess calories and you have a perfect recipe for disaster.
3. During your lunch get out of the building and get some fresh air and sunshine. Not only will this lift your spirits, you will be able to get your blood flowing, and drive nutrients to your working muscles with a 20-30 minute brisk walk. If your business has a gym built in, then plan ahead to workout during your lunch for 20 minutes followed by a high protein recovery meal. You should be good to go for the rest of the day.
4. Sit on a stability ball instead of your chair. If this is allowed it is a great way to keep your core engaged through all planes of motion. If it is too much on your lumbar or thoracic spine you can alternate between your chair and the stability ball through out the day
5. Do squats or other exercises at your desk. You can even make it a game. How many squats can you get done in one shift. Keep score and try to beat your best each time.
These are just a few ideas, but get creative. Sometimes you don't feel the effects a desk job can Have on your health until it's too late. If you have the type of job that won't allow you the room to customize your day like this then it may be time to Change jobs. But that's another article for another time.