Its Autumn, Here Are Some Romantic Gourmet Inns
It is Autumn in the Northern Hemisphere with chilly mornings, falling leaves, and Fall food on our minds.
This is the time of year people long for cozy restaurants with fireplaces, that are a comfortable distance from their home cities.
Some of the world’s most famous chefs have this market wrapped: Jean-Georges Vongerichten has the Inn at Pound Ridge, and Michael White has the Bedford Post Inn.
In the UK Heston Blumenthal has a collection of appropriately autumnal restaurants, the Crown and the Hinds Head just near his newly reopened Fat Duck in the village of Bray, outside London. Both sister venues are less formal than the Duck. All provide world class food, a little escape, and a room, should you find you can’t navigate the roads home.
Below is a list of gourmet inns you should know about, as follows:
- The Inn at Pound Ridge, Pound Ridge, NY: This quiet Westchester inn serving sophisticated American food by the Jean-Georges team is the perfect place for a date … if you’re married. Everyone wants a table at 7 p.m., so try for earlier or later if you’re going on short notice. Try to find a quieter corner to rekindle that old magic.
- 2. Bedford Post Inn, Bedford, NY: Michael White of Marea/Morini/Vaucluse fame goes rural. Campagna is the Italian restaurant. Locals prefer “The Barn” room, which is open for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and the all-important weekend brunch.
- Jockey Hollow , Morristown, NJ: Chris Cannon, a former partner at Marea, gets to play Jay Gatsby at the sprawling Vail Mansion. With 3 spaces to choose from and countless fireplaces, this is the new it-place in central New Jersey.
- The White Hart Inn, Salisbury, Conn.: A favorite for parents dropping their kids at local schools is now the restored dream of a Goldman Sachs executive smart enough to hire Annie Wayte, formerly of Nicole Farhi in New York and London.
- The Hand and Flowers Marlow, UK: Tom Kerridge’s gastro pub competes with Heston Blumenthal, his cuisine tends to be more casual.]
- The Inn at Little Washington Washington, DC: Take a drive to the Inn at Little Washington. Patrick O’Connell is the Thomas Keller of the Blue Ridge Mountains. He has a way with simple foods that always have a surprise touch of elegance, such as an oatmeal soufflé.
- Red Fox Inn & Tavern in horsey Middleburg, VA, historic and casual.
- Ojai Valley Inn, Ojai, CA: The Ojai area feels like Montauk or Big Sur did before both were overrun with Porsche-driving hedge funders. The Inn is a place to unwind, enjoy a spa, or to set out and explore the countryside Big Sur is super.
- The Post Ranch Inn, Big Sur, CA: The Ferrari driving smart money motors to the Post Ranch Inn. You get a terrific view, a spa, and great food, and no one rings bells or says “Om.”
- Villa d’Este Lake Como, Italia: a Key advantage the Milanese have over most is the art of the weekend escape. If there this Fall have your 1st experience at Villa d’Este, one of the few places in the world where you can sleep in a UNESCO world heritage site, stroll past Bernini statues, and swim in a floating pool in the lake. What makes this like no other hotel in the world is that staff waits for you to come out, wraps you in thick towels, and escorts you to your room, where a fire crackles.
Its Autumn, enjoy the weekends.